Sunday, January 31, 2016

Day 3 HKG to CGK to NRT

Day 3 HKG to CGK to NRT

WED-03-FEB-2016
Woke at 5AM and checked out. 
Left hotel at 5:50 and walked about 10 min to the A31 bus stop. It was an elevated walkway as the road below was very busy and no cross-walks. 
Bus did not show up till 6:20 and Google says it will take 1 hr 24 min but we were at airport by 7AM. Bus was packed. Good thing I got on an earlier stop.

Airport lounge
Ate breakfast at the first class lounge, then took a bubble bath, then a shower, then rushed to the other first class lounge and had a few different smoothies, then boarded my flight





Boarded CX flight HKG-CGK
Two class 777-300ER. Sat in 3rd row of coach. Screaming 2 year old behind me kicking my seat for 30 minutes. Finally told flight attendant. They found me two alternatives. All the way in the back in an aisle seat with no one next to me with no leg room or exit row aisle next to bathroom. Everything has its pluses and minuses. I took the exit row. Bad choice. Seems everyone in coach came to use the bathroom at least twice in the flight. The bathroom floor was filthy and wet and all that attached to the footwear of people and went down the aisles. Someone need to invent airplane bathroom floor that works. 



I get treated better on Cathay Pacific (CX) coach class as a OneWorld Emerald member than I do an Executive Platium member on American Airlines (AA) business class.  On AA, no one says hello Mr <>, thank you for your business. No one. On CX, a flight attendant (FA) came by after everyone was seated and welcomed me by name and said thank you for flying with us and to let him know if I needed anything. 

I then moved to the exit row. Another FA came by and welcomed me by name. After take off, the purser came by and asked if I was Mr <> and I said it yes. She said I was looking all over for you and I heard you changes seats.  I explained the kid kicking my seat. She said she heard. She welcomed me by name and asked if there was anything she can get for me. I told her I am so I
impressed with CX for coming to me and welcoming me. Another FA who served me food, also addressed me by Mr <> every time he came by, which must have been at least five times. 

How is it that they treat me so well and AA does not?





Landed in CGK a 2:00PM, flight was 30 min late arriving into HKG. 

Flight depart today at 9:35PM. How to spend 7 hours at CGK airport?

I took the free shuttle bus from T2 to T1 but got off at T3 by mistake. There are military with machine guns at all the entrances. T2 I do desk said there is a short-stay hotel in T1. 

Shuttle bus is very rudimentary. Trying to get off bus but it seems the people trying to get on the bus have no concern that they should wait until everyone gets off and then they can get on. They get on and jam the doorway and no one can get off. Bizarre behavior. It happened several times at different stops. 

Got back on the bus, went to T1 and found hotel. Very expensive.  Cheaper to take taxi for 50,000 and go 3 miles and get a $18 room at Pop hotel. 

I come back here and land at 1am and leave at 6am, so I might consider the T1 hotel as they have a short-stay rate of 150,000. BUT it is not a room. It is a recliner in a hallway. Didn't see a bathroom but probably a communal. It might do for a two hour nap from 2-4AM. Alternative is a metal bench in front of the check in counter. 

Spend 75,000 plus 20,000 on a tip for a 30-minute foot massage.

Walked the whole T2 and got some exercise. 

Being Emerald status on OneWorld allows me to stand in the first class check in line for JL. 

JL726 check in counter opens at 6:30PM
Interesting. Another airline does check in for JAL but they all line up like JAL staff and do a welcome and a deep bow. 


Sitting in the Pura Indah Lounge. There are two sides to it.  The business class side to the right and the first class to the left. She pointed me to the right. That is where I went last time. I asked what is to the left?  She asked to see my boarding pass. She then said you can go to the left of you want. Of course I want. I see the food is much better here. 

I found out this lounge opens at 3:00AM and closes at 11:30PM. So. When I come here in a few weeks from now, my flight lands at 1:00AM. So I think I will hang out on a metal bench seat for an hour or two and then come here.  I think the ticket counter should open 3 hours before flight, so around 3 or 3:30. So I won't need a hotel or a room or a recliner  at terminal 1. 

Departed from CGK on JL flight



No comments:

Post a Comment